Diagnosis: Male factor infertility complicated by DH's Robertsonian Translocation 13;15.
IVF #1 July 2006 (Pensacola, FL) 23 eggs retrieved. 18 fertilized via ICSI. PGD. 8 "normal" embryos. Freeze all cycle due to severe OHSS. Hospitalized for 8 days.
FET #1 November 2006 (Pensacola, FL) Canceled at the last minute (after taking all the meds and shots for about 3 weeks) due to nonsuppression.
FET #2 September 2007 (Pensacola, FL) Transferred 1 female embryo. BFN.
FET #3 November 2007 (Pensacola, FL) Transferred 2 male embryos. BFN.
Decided to change fertlility clinics, so consulted with CCRM in Denver and SIRM in Las Vegas. Chose CCRM and transferred remaining 5 frozen embryos from Pensacola to Denver to have them genetically re-checked. 3 embryos died upon thaw, 1 embryo's genetic test came back inconclusive. 1 embryo normal for chromosomes 13 & 15. Re-froze the one normal embryo and the one inconclusive embryo.
One-day work up at CCRM in April 2008. FSH 7.18, E2 29, AMH 4.3, AFC 35+, genetic testing on me all came back normal. DH's genetic testing came back with 65% of sperm are affected with the unbalanced translocation.
IVF #2 July 2008 (Denver, CO) 30 eggs retrieved. 26 mature. 23 fertilized via ICSI. PGD. 7 embryos normal for chromosomes 13 & 15. 1 embryo made it to freeze. Transferred 2 grade AA blasts. BFN.
IVF #3 November 2008 (Denver, CO) 34 eggs retrieved. 25 mature. 22 fertilized via ICSI. 15 blasts for CGH testing. Results: 8 abnormal & 7 no results. The 7 no results will be thawed, re-biopsied, and re-vitrified; and the cells will be sent for FISH analysis for the translocation. Should get those results by Christmas. UPDATE: 1 blast is normal for 13 & 15 and 1 blast still no result.
FET #4 February 2009 (Denver, CO) Our first ever BFP!! Beta #1 (9dp5dt): 174 !!!!! Beta #2 (11dp5dt): 401 !!!!!
Jerry is an expert at giving me the shots by now. I just can't do it myself. There is something within me that is preventing me from sticking myself with a needle. I've already had to order another Lupron kit. What's another $600 in the grand scheme of things, right? It's not even a drop in the bucket of what we've already spent. Anyway... Here's what my FET schedule looks like so far:
January 11th - Almost Positive OPK. January 12th - Positive OPK, P4 = 3.5 so no ovulation yet. January 15th - P4 = 7.7 so ovulation has indeed occurred. Start Lupron shots (20u). January 26th - AF arrives right on schedule. Received updated FET calendar. January 28th - Start estrogen replacement therapy. 1 patch. January 30th - Remove old patch and replace with another patch. February 1st - Remove old patch and replace with another patch. February 3rd - Remove old patch and replace with another patch. E2 = 83.
Let me tell you one thing about these patches... they hurt when I'm removing them. Ouch! I tried everything I could think of, including removing them in the shower and rubbing vitamin E oil on them. Those patches are sticky little buggers.
CCRM wants the E2 level to be above 50 for the first check. Mine was 83. So I guess that's ok. But here I go over-analyzing things again. With my last IVF cycle (November 2008), my first E2 was 73. Now how could my E2 for a FET cycle be higher than for the IVF cycle? I'm not taking any stim drugs now, just Lupron to suppress my ovaries and the estrogen patches to build up my uterine lining. But with the IVF cycle, I was actually taking stim shots (Menopur shot in the morning and Follistim shot in the evening). Hmmm...
So the next thing on my calendar is to progressively add more patches.
February 5th - Remove old patch and replace with 2 patches. February 7th - Remove old patches and replace with 3 patches. February 9th - Remove old patches and replace with 4 patches.
Then I have a date with the dildo-cam (ultrasound) to check my uterine lining and have my E2 level check. After my nurse gets the results, I will be told how many patches to use every other day.
February 11th - New patch(es). Start Prometrium vaginal suppositories 3X/day. STOP Lupron shots (yay!). Start Tetracycline 250mg at bedtime and then 4X/day until gone. Start Medrol 16mg once each evening for 4 nights.
Then I go in for a P4 check on February 12th. The level of my progesterone will determine if my cycle will be canceled or not.
I'm really nervous, as my body tends to want to ovulate. Remember my 1st FET?... I was on BCP and Lupron shots yet my body just had to pop out an egg and cancel everything. Ugh. I guess I should be happy that I do ovulate on my own, but still...
If everything is a go, we'll be headed to Denver soon. Oh GOD, please let it be positive this time! I don't know how much more heartache I can bear...